|(Photo Courtesy: Deccan Chronicle)|
The Assam government has issued shoot-at-sight orders in Kokrajhar district as the clashes between Bodo tribals and Muslims immigrants claimed 20 lives.
S.N. Singh, Inspector-General of Police (Bodoland Territorial Area Districts) said they issued the shoot orders after the situation threatened to take a serious turn. “So far, 15 bodies have been recovered in Kokrajhar and five in Chirang,” he added.
The violence also wounded 18 people.
Nearly 36,000people have rendered homeless after miscreants from both the warring communities torched houses in several villages of Kokrajhar and Chirang districts.
Night curfew too has been extended indefinitely in both the districts.
Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Donald Gilfellon said the miscreants also indulged in looting houses left abandoned by panicked villagers.
Three out-bound trains from Guwahati — the Kamrup Express, Bangalore Express and Northeast Express — were halted at New Bongaigaon railway station as railway authorities did not want them to move through the trouble-torn areas.
The ongoing violence also spread to Dhubri district in Lower Assam Monday forcing the district administration to impose night curfew in certain pockets.
The 24-hour-bandh called by the All Bodoland Minority Students’ Union affected life in all four BTAD districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang, Baksa and Udalguri.
The violence-hit people blocked the Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express between Bongaigaon and Gossaigaon for several hours.
At the state capital of Dispur, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi reviewed the situation and ordered that additional forces be rushed and steps taken to curb violence and restore peace.
Meanwhile, curfew was imposed in Bareilly district of Uttar Pradesh after one person was killed and several others injured in communal violence.
Source: The Hindu/first post/IBNLive/daijiworld
India: Singh also issued instructions for carrying forward negotiations about the..